Total Pageviews

Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Savory Risotto

Today's recipe also came from The McDougall Quick and Easy Cookbook. I am actually quite happy with the results. Here's the recipe.

Ingredients
1/2 c. water (I used a 1 T. olive oil)
1 onion, chopped (I only had green onions, so I used about half a bunch)
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1 tomato, chopped (I used two Roma tomatoes because they were small)
1 t. minced fresh garlic (I used 4 garlic cloves)
1 t. crushed sage
1/4 t. thyme leaves
1 1/2 c. arborio rice
5 1/2 cups vegetable broth (I only used 32 oz--again it's all I had in the pantry)
1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
finely chopped cilantro, to taste

1. Place water in a medium saucepan. (I heated the olive oil).
2. Add the onion, mushrooms, bell pepper, tomato, garlic, sage, and thyme.
3. Cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes.
4. Stir in the rice and continue to cook for a minute or two.
5. Meanwhile, heat the vegetable broth to boiling in the microwave. (I forgot this part...oops)
6. Add the broth to the rice mixture. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the rice is cooked and the mixture is creamy, about 20 minutes
7. Stir in the beans and heat through.
8. Add the pepper and sprinkle with the cilantro before serving. (I mixed in the cilantro because I like the flavor it lets out)

I'm really happy with the flavors in this dish, and I'm actually using it as a side dish for my family. It's got a lot of veggies hidden in it for them. I've been introducing more and more dishes to my family that are full of vegetables. At first, they were resistant, but I can actually see that their palates have grown up a little.

Just a little while ago, I had a wonderful mommy moment. My son came downstairs and said, "What smells so good, mama?" When he looked in the pot and saw the risotto, I was afraid that he would complain about the vegetables. Then, he said, "Ooh...mushrooms...I love mushrooms!" If anyone would have told me a year ago that I would hear my finicky 13 year old utter these words, I would have laughed in their face.

I'm grateful for this experience on so many levels...improving my own health, of course is a great benefit, but improving the health of my children is an even better benefit. I have three kids. None of them has ever been fat like I was as a kid. But, over the past few years, I've watched them develop horrible eating habits. Fast food, junky snacks, eating late, etc...I knew I was part of the problem simply because I was sitting back as an observer. Now, I am making good choices for my family not just easy choices.  And, when I really think about it, I'm also happy that I'm being a good role model for them, so that when they have their own families, they will make healthy eating a priority. I also love that they are becoming more open-minded and willing to try new things, and that they are learning about flavors and how to develop them...the list goes on and on :)

Here's a pic of the risotto. It was true to its name...savory. Hope you enjoy it.


No comments:

Post a Comment