Total Pageviews

Friday, November 23, 2012

Reboot Take Two

Boy! It's been a while since I've been around here! I can't believe there have been so many views. Thank you!

Sadly, I fell of the veggie wagon. I'm not quite sure when it happened, but it's been a downward spiral, and I have, once again, hit the proverbial "rock bottom"

I remember that my whole journey towards being a vegetarian started last Thanksgiving after I watched the movie "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead." I also remember how great I felt all the time and how the weight just seemed to come off so easily.

Somewhere along the line I got lazy, I got tired of explaining myself, I got tired of caring. Then, I started getting depressed about my weight, my health, my job, my life in general.

So...today, I decided to watch the movie again. Who knows, maybe I'll make it a yearly tradition to watch the movie the day after Thanksgiving...this time I took notes. I wrote down all of the things that made me want to this the first time around. I wrote them in my journal so that I can read them over and over again.

First, I loved when Joe Cross said, "When I started this journey, I thought it was all about the juice fast...but, now, I know it was only the beginning." I don't want this to sound like a commercial for the movie, but this statement made me think about my outlook on this change. I got so caught up in the excitement of the beginning phases that I didn't make the permanent life long changes that were necessary.

Second, I liked what Dr. Furhman said about diabetes and high blood pressure. He said that they are "diseases of nutritional ignorance" because people aren't eating wrong because they choose to even if they truly know the dangers; they eat wrong because they really don't know how bad it is for them. He used the warning on cigarettes as an example. People really do know that cigarettes kill, but I don't think we are taught how food can kill...there aren't any public service announcements about the dangers of food. I am going to look up Dr. Fuhrman and see if I can find myself a local nutritionist that supports a plant-based diet. Part of this life long change is going to have to include getting better educated, as well as the support of a professional. 

Having said all that, the most impacting thing that I did today other than starting juicing again, was to take the dreaded before pictures. I have to say that I wouldn't necessarily call it a wake up call, as much as a slap in the face...a hard slap in the face...the kind that stings for a while.

I knew I had put the weight back on, I knew that I had been feeling horrible, I knew that my clothes stopped fitting and that buttons and seams were starting to break, I knew that I'd been getting sick more often....BUT, I did not know that I looked like THAT. It sounds so shallow, but **sigh**

It was...educational...and it gave me a knew appreciation for how much my husband loves me. I know love isn't all about the physical stuff, but...wow...

I'm so ashamed that I am not going to post those pictures...at least not until I have some nice AFTER pictures to go along with them.

I'm going to continue posting about my progress with juicing, and I'll continue posting once I start eating vegetarian meals again. Hopefully, by then I will have found a good nutritionist.

Thanks again to any one who has been reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment