Total Pageviews

Monday, January 23, 2012

Couscous with Sun-dried Tomatoes and Green Onions

Well, this is embarrassing...I wrote this a few nights ago and never posted it...

I'll add the picture soon :/

Tonight, I was tempted to just have a snack and be done with it, but I was responsible after all and I cooked a good meal for myself. I followed the directions on the box and the couscous turned out really well. Then again, I've never had couscous before, so for all I know, they could have been all wrong.

I put 1 cup of water, some salt, and a bit of olive oil in a sauce pan and brought it to a boil. I stirred 3/4 cup couscous in the water, took it off the heat, covered it, and let it sit for 5 minutes. When I uncovered it I fluffed it with a fork. At first, I thought it might have not cooked right because it looked like it was all stuck together. But, once I started "fluffing" it looked just like the picture.

In a separate pan, I sauteed 1/4 c. sun-dried tomatoes, diced, and 1/2 c. green onions, chopped, in a bit of olive oil and water.  I stirred this into the couscous and let it sit in the pot, covered, while I prepared the rest of my vegetables.

In the same pan that I had sauteed the sun-dried tomatoes and green onions, I heated some broccoli florets, diced onions, and sliced grape tomatoes. I melted some veggie slices shredded "cheese" on the broccoli mixture.

The chips on the side are actually baked wonton wraps. I cut the wonton squares into triangles and arranged them on a baking sheet. Then, I sprayed them with spray canola oil and sprinkled them with some sea salt, rosemary, and thyme. I baked them in the oven at 425 degrees until they were golden brown. **Careful with the salt--a little goes a really long way.

I realized something this week. As the days went by, it got more and more difficult to spontaneously choose recipes. I'm going to have to look through my books and magazines on the weekends and plan my grocery shopping with those recipes in mind.



No comments:

Post a Comment