Total Pageviews

Monday, January 16, 2012

Leftovers Aren't Always Bad

Before I get to the leftovers, I want to talk about the great juice I made this morning...

My Breville Juice and Blend has been the Christmas present that hasn't lost it's pizzazz. Every time I look at it I get as excited as I did the first time I took it out of the box. I decided that this would be a good time to take pictures, too. I've gotten comfortable enough with juicing that I can make it up as I go. My first few times were complete disasters. If you've ever tried juicing an entire orange, you know what I'm talking about, lol. I remember drinking half of it between gags because I was determined not to waste. Now I know what not to do, and I've also learned how to work with the flavors.

Today's breakfast juice consisted of:

4 leaves kale
1 granny smith apple
1 red gala apple
2 pears
3 large carrots
1 medium beet root
1 cup strawberries
1 cup red grapes
2 oranges
1 lemon


It all went in the juicer except for the lemon, simply because I forgot. I squeezed the lemon juice in at the end. I love how the beets give the juice a really nice color.



After breakfast, the day just seemed to get away from me. I'm traveling on business tomorrow, so I spent the day cleaning and getting all of my presentation stuff together. Before I knew it, lunchtime had come and gone. So, I had left overs from yesterday's potato salad. This time I remembered to take pictures :)



The bagel chips were an extra treat/cheat since I'm trying to stay away from processed foods.

After lunch, I continued working, watched a cooking show with my son, went back to work, and before I knew it, I was late for dinner, ugh! My husband and kids wanted fast food, so I was incredibly hypocritical and picked up Burger King for them. I hate myself for it. How can be taking such good care of myself and let my family continue eating this kind of junk? I told myself that it's just a "treat," that I've been incorporating more vegetable dishes for my family, that I've been buying less processed foods for them...but in the end I still took the easy way out and went for the convenience of fast food.

What I feel the most guilty about is that I didn't have any of it, myself. I quickly put some veggie pita pockets together for myself with the left over dressing from the potato salad. I just cut up some vegetables, threw in some of the leftover wild rice, and mixed it all together with the dressing and stuffed the pita pockets.

So, as I sat there with my family, watching eat this greasy, unhealthy food, I ate my veggie pita pockets that took me all of 5 minutes to prepare from leftovers. I've never really liked eating leftovers before, but I guess leftovers aren't always bad, after all. Here's a picture of my openly-shame-faced pita pockets--They were delicious, but I didn't write down a recipe for it.


I'll be out tomorrow, so I won't be able to try any of the recipes, but when I get back, maybe I'll be able to share what vegetarian friendly dishes I was able to find in restaurants while I was traveling on business.

No comments:

Post a Comment