Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Vegetable Quinoa Pilaf

Shame on me...I ate this two nights ago and never published this post.

Today's dinner made me happy. I loved how it looked and  I loved how it tasted. I used the recipe that was on the quinoa box. Then, I added a few things that I thought would work.


The original recipe called for
1/2 c. diced carrots
1/2 c. diced celery
1/4 c. diced red bell pepper
6 cups quinoa


The instructions were easy. Cook the quinoa according to package directions. In a separate pan use some olive oil to saute the vegetables. Mix it all together. Add salt and pepper to taste.


First, I reduce the vegetable to quinoa ratio because I wanted the dish to have more vegetables than the original recipe called for. I only used two cups of quinoa, and I increased the amount of vegetables to 1 cup for all the vegetables. I also added 1 cup broccoli and 1/2 protein crumbles. I think the crumbles were a mistake. I would have liked the dish without the crumbles. I think I added them because I was hoping that my kids and/or husband would be more willing to try the dish if it looked familiar.


In any case, the crumbles didn't ruin the dish...I just saw them as a superfluous ingredient.





No one wanted to try it anyway, lol, but I enjoyed it. And,  I even had it as leftovers the next day. I think it's one of those dishes that tastes better the next day. Another positive note about the dish is that it was good both cold and hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment