Total Pageviews

Saturday, February 25, 2012

M.I.A. Southwestern Falafal

Boy! I don't know what happened, but I've been missing for days. Working at a school during FCAT Crunch time is a unique experience. Stress levels run high and the days slip away from me.

Anyway...I've made one new dish from a recipe that I found in an old issue of Cooking Light. It was "Southwestern Falafel" which was interesting because the recipe called for a base of pinto beans instead of chickpeas.

The first time I made them, I used too much oil and I didn't use a nonstick pan. Fortunately, neither  mistake affected the flavors. However, they did affect the presentation. The dish was definitely not picture worthy. On the positive side, my children liked the them a lot, so I am very happy that I can add one more vegetarian dish to our family meal repertoire. On the down side, my kids thought they were appetizers and ate most of them, so I was left without a substantial dinner that night...which is why I made them again a few nights later.

The second time around, I used just enough olive oil in the pan to add taste, and I remembered to use a nonstick pan. They came out perfect! They were also very picture worthy. Unfortunately, I ate them before taking a picture for this blog post. Maybe, next time...

The falafel tasted very good served fresh, but when I ate the leftovers for lunch the next day, they were soggy.

Tonight, I'm making mashed parsnips and turnips, for the first time. I found the recipe at http://miedemaproduce.com/main_dishes.html

I thought the recipe sounded interesting for a few reasons. First, it calls for thyme, which I love almost as much as rosemary. Second, I've never eaten, or cooked, a parsnip OR a turnip in my entire life....Wait a minute...I take that back. I think I may have added one or the other to a soup once. BUT, I don't think that counts. This is the first time that I'm using them as main ingredients. Finally, I have developed a fondness for mashed anything recently.

When I was little, very little, my abuela would take care of me, and she used to make mashed potatoes, mashed malanga, mashed boniato, etc., etc...which she would proceed to attempt feeding me...which I would proceed to throw at her, at the floor, the walls... I hated the stuff. I hated the consistency more than anything, I think.

As I grew up, I continued to dislike mashed viandas. Actually, "dislike" is more of a euphemism. If I were completely honest with myself, I'd have to say that I loathed, despised, truly hated them. Even as a teenager, I remember doing that gagging thing that little kids do when they are forced to eat something they hate, lol. I remember how my mom used to make something else for me to eat so that I would eat something. She was my hero for doing that...and a lot of other things that she did...but more about that some other time.

Anyway, ever since I started this vegetarian journey, I've developed a taste for mashed root vegetables. I actually find myself craving them sometimes. When I saw the recipe, my mouth started watering, and I just knew that I had to try it out.

I still wouldn't say that I love mashed root vegetables, but I can definitely enjoy them now., and I'm looking forward to tasting this dish.Once I make the mash, I'll post about the flavors.

I hope it will be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment